Saturday, December 10, 2011

ESPN Makes me Puke


Scrolling on ESPN, I stumbled across an article by an AFC East blogger named James Walker. The article argued for Tom Brady being this years MVP. While I do think the idea that someone saying Rodgers isn't the MVP is absolutely absurd, I wanted to at least give this guy a chance to show some points to back up his argument. And boy have I changed my mind after reading the brilliant article by Mr. James Walker.

Let me recap some of his points that have totally switched me to the Brady camp in the MVP argument(hint: SARCASM). When considering the MVP before, it never occurred to me of the slew of weapons that surround Mr. Rodgers. Walker says that Rodgers has, and I quote, "...stars on offense(Greg Jennings, Jeremichael Finley, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson". The article could have just stopped right there. You just called Donald Driver(54 years old) a STAR. Jeremichael Finley has 9 drops and only 42 receptions. That means he drops almost 20% of the catchable passes that are thrown to him!
Walker also goes on to talk about how terrible of a defense that Tom Brady has to cover up by scoring so many points. You mean the defense that is tied for 12th in the league in points allowed? Or are you confusing the Pats D with a much worse Packers D that is allowing more than a point per game more than the Pats "Worst defense in the League". The fact that the Packers are undefeated with the way their defense has played thus far is absolutely unheard of. Rodgers and the offense has had no room to slip up, even for one quarter, and they simply haven't.

There's one last point that makes my head spin. Walker goes on to make a point that the Packers would still be decent without Rodgers because their backup, Matt Flynn, is actually a decent player. On the contrary, Walker points to the terrible backups that the Patriots have at the QB position. So he says the Pats would suck with Brian Hoyer behind center( I disagree, they'd be about .500 as well). I sort of breezed over this argument at first, and then realized how absolutely mindboggling this point is.

Here's an exaggerated situation to show how ridiculous his point is. Drew Brees is the backup to Aaron Rodgers as Rodgers throws for 50 TD's, while the chiefs run out of options and have me be the backup of Tyler Palko(who throws for 10 TD's and 10 interceptions). Since the Packers wouldn't be that much worse off with Drew Brees, is Aaron Rodgers not considered for MVP? Should Tyler Palko be MVP because if he gets replaced by me, the Chiefs become absolutely terrible(actually, I'm not sure I could do much worse than Falko). With Walkers logic, Peyton Manning would be a 10 time MVP.

There are so many other reasons why Aaron Rodgers is the clear cut MVP, but I have rambled for long enough. Rodgers is playing the best football I've ever seen. And that is reason enough for me to say he is MVP.

PS: How does James Walker have a job : http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/35276/tom-brady-not-aaron-rodgers-is-mvp

At least we should get more viewers on CONC after people ban reading ESPN because of James Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment